Újezd u Plánice

Larger archaeological finds and monuments from ancient times and from the last millennium are not known in the territory of Újezd. isolated finds (stone flint chisel - 1913, stone hammer 1919) from the Stone Age testify to the use of the landscape by hunters rather than to settlement. There was probably no permanent settlement of the landscape up to and including the time of the Great Moravian Empire. However, the valley floodplain of Úhlava and its surroundings was permanently inhabited already in the Bronze Age and the earlier Iron Age, as evidenced by the rich finds near Ostřetice and others.

In the Middle Ages, the history of Újezd ​​is connected with the fate of Plánice. As an existing town in France, it was dedicated to the Cistercian monastery in Nepomuk in 1144. The Cistercians were a reformed branch of the Benedictine order, founded in 1098 in Citeaux in. The monastery in Nepomuk was one of the first founded by this order in Bohemia. There is no evidence of whether it came to the region with this monastery, or whether its inhabitants later embraced the Hussite faith. However, it is certain that precious metals were discovered in the area, which led to the immigration of miners, especially German ones. There are no more reports about the mining sites or whether there were also smelters. In 1420, during Žižka's campaign on Rábí, the monastery was demolished and burned. later it was no longer renewed.


Planici was then received for a short time by the Kostková from Postupice. In 1420, King Zikmund registered the entire property of the former monastery in Nepomuk to the brothers Bohuslav and Hynk Krušin from Švamberk, who were there until 1464. After the death of Bohuslav, Plánice belonged for a time to the Táborská side, which ceded it to the Klatovské village. But as early as 1434, Bohuslava Hynek's brother was here. He died in 1454 and Plánica was inherited by his son. He handed over the estate to the Švamberks in 1464. Zdeněk of Švamberk, as a later opponent of Jiří of Poděbrady, took revenge on Plánice for her alliance with him. After his death, his son Jaroslav, who died in 1492, took over the estate of Zelenohorská. After his death, Plánice was to become the property of King Vladislav and the royal town. However, he dedicated it to Jaroslav's son - Ladislav. After his death, the estate passed to his brother Albrecht. This one was against the election of King Ferdinand and spoke out against him even after the election. For this, the estate was taken from him and Zdeněk Lev from Rožmitál received it. In 1536, Adam from Štemberk bought the estate back from the king for his family. Adama died in 1560. The next period of the Štemberk estate is accompanied by poor management. debts and conflicts in the family. In 1638, Plánice was sold to the Martinic family. The first owner was Jaroslav Bořita, the Imperial Count of Martinique. Other successive owners were Maxmilián Valentin (+ 1677), Jiří Adam - viceroy of Naples (+ 1714), Adolf Bernard - supreme court master (+ 1736). During his reign, an architecturally very important baroque church was built in Niców by Kylián Ignác Diezenhofer. Next in line was František Michal - royal deputy (+ 1760). The last member of this important Czech family was František Karel (+ 1789), with whom the family died by the sword.


The Plánice manor was sold in 1790 to František Count of Walis. This family owned the estate until the land reform of the new Czechoslovak state. The rest of the estate then passed to Anna Maria Schaffgotsch in 1924. It can be assumed that Újezd ​​was founded soon after the foundation of the monastery in Nepomuk, although the first written report about it dates back to 1551. One can only guess whether Jan Sekáč from Oujezd mentioned in historical sources after the Battle of Lipan came from Újezd ​​u Plánice. Klíma Novéj, Jíra Černoch, Jan Křestťan, Vít Tauš, Kašpar Šíma, Matěj Pančocha, Václav Mrákota, Jan Voska, Šimon Buzek, Jakub Polanský, Jan Holej, Marek Pech, Řehoř Luhan, Říha are already mentioned in the land registers from 1584. Čechura. At the same time, one pub is listed here.

In Újezda, farmers mainly farmed on rustic plots. Under feudalism, a rustical was land whose chief owner was a feudal lord, but on which a subject peasant lived and farmed on the basis of legal insurance, either looser (so-called Czech law, later unpurchased tenure) or more serious (emphyteutic law, later purchased tenure). The mutual ratio between the rustical and the dominical changed over the centuries and was not bindingly codified until the collection rule of 1654, when the rustical became the basis for land tax. Dominikál is noble land, so-called manor land, which was not taxed until 1757.


Payments to the lordship of some landlords from Újezd ​​for the possession of land, or tithes, are recorded from historical sources by Jan Rada in the municipal chronicle. The main income of the parish priests was the tithe from the landowners, of whom there were 13 in Újezd. Each of them had to pay an annual sum of rye, barley and oats. The original settlement of the village was centered around the existing village. This is also evidenced by the historical data in the municipality register. the original dwellings and grounds were wooden. There are no records or monuments of the existence of any feudal fortress or similar object. The only exception is the manor's garden, which was created sometime in the Baroque period. Simultaneously with the settlement of the territory, homesteads with mills were created in Úslav. The village was growing into its historical core. The construction of the school in 1893 was at the end of the village at that time.
A video program about the village is available HERE.

Source: Tomášek Josef, 100 years of SDH Újezd, published by the municipality of Újezd ​​u Plánice, 1998.