Klatovy - Black Tower and Town and Hall
During the years 1547 – 1559 a new town – hall was built up at the top of the main square, with a high, slim tower made of dark, no plastered hewn stones that was to symbolize the town’s wealth. The tower allowed surveillance over the entire town and protected it against frequent fires and enemies. Today the Black Tower with its 81 metres serves the visitors as a lookout tower that compensates the demanding climb on its top by a breath taking view of both the town and the distant Šumava mountains tops. The town - hall building, reconstructed in neo – Renaissance style in the years 1923 – 1925, is presently accommodating the municipal office.