Plánice - Statue of the Holy Trinity

The Holy Trinity Column is a cultural monument registered in the state register. A baroque sculpture with a column was built on the site of a former pillory in the upper part of the square behind today's town hall, probably as a thank you to God for ending the cattle plague that raged in the city and its surroundings in 1742. 377 cattle, oxen, cows and heifers perished in the plague. The sculpture was repaired in 1783 by master František Kopecký. The column of the Holy Trinity is a cultural monument registered in the state list. In the center of the bricked base is a stone plinth with a distinctive foot and an overhanging cover plate. The walls of the base are decorated with recessed mirror surfaces. The base is fitted with a column with a massive foot with an arch profile and acanthus decor. The architecture of the column is finished with a Corinthian capital, which carries a sculpture of the Holy Trinity.

The figures of God the father and the son are depicted in the traditional iconographic concept of the first half of the 18th century and are placed facing the entrance to the castle. On the opposite side, towards the south, the sculpture is completed by the figure of the Virgin Mary in a slightly larger than life size. On the Virgin Mary's back is a dove, symbolizing the Holy Spirit. The column of the Holy Trinity is a distinctive urban element, shaping the character of the space in front of the entrance to the castle. The typological assessment so far indicates similarities with the Marian column in Horažďovice and the possibility of the same author. The most interesting feature is the existence of a statue of P. Maria, which is not normally found on similar columns. We usually find columns either with only a statue of P. Maria or with a statue of the Holy Trinity. In the years 1998-99, the column with the sculpture was reconstructed at the expense of the city with the contribution of a state subsidy and today it is an ornament of the park on the square. The authors of the restoration works were restorer Jan Turský from Prague and artistic stonemason Jan Kozák from Mlynářovice. Due to the great interest of the public, in September 1999, a ceremonial handing over of the restored monument took place on the Plány square.

Source: Ing. Martin Kriz