Švihov - Jíno

 From the history of Jin

In 1339, Drslav is mentioned as a witness in the sale of Křenice to the Chotěšov monastery. Vilém (probably Drslav's son) appears on March 25, 1346 as a witness to a document in which the Chotěšov monastery leases the forest and yard of Skašov to Prostěj from Letin to establish the village of Lhoty. In 1384, Jíno, down to the mill, was sold to Něpro from Roupov. The mill belonged to the Švihov estate in the 16th century, and in 1547 Jindřich Švihovský from Rýzmberk sold it to Jindřich Mladot from Jilmanice, who held the nearby Poříčí. Then in 1569, Poříčí sold it to Mikuláš Šic of Drahenice.

According to the collection rule from 1654, there was one farmer and one cottager in the village, who fell under the Poříč manor, and five other farmers were registered on the combined Roupov and Žinkovy manors. Later, the entire village of Jíno was sold to Červené Poříčí. In 1700, the village had 72 inhabitants, in 1730 already 106.

In old documents, its name is also given in the form of Junín, Jíma, Gino and Gynín. The village had a swimming pool yard with an area of 121 ha. Near the village, on the left bank, there is the Kyselá hermitage.

After the middle of the 19th century, the inhabitants of Jíno and nearby Nezdice requested the establishment of a parish in Nezdice, to which Jíno would then be added. This was finally achieved and the parsonage in Nezdice was built at a cost of 8,000 guilders. Nezdická municipality provided free land and Jíno gave 100 guilders. The school in Nezdice, where children from Jín also attended, was opened as early as 1827.

The cross on the road to Borovy was consecrated by the new Nezdick chaplain Josef Šimek (established in 1862) in the spring of 1863. In 1867, the winemaker Matěj Bálek sold the pub in No. 5 and its contents to his brother Peter for 5,000 guilders. In 1885, a fire broke out in a building near the Hřebc family. Several buildings with an arched gate and a wooden storage shed have survived to this day in the village.

In the years 1961 - 1963, it was built on the Úhlava river behind the village towards the Červené Poříčí dam. Since 1960, the village has been under the authority in Švihov. In 1997, she became independent, but only for a few years. Since January 1, 2002, it has again been an integrated local part of the city of Švihov. In the years 1998 - 1999, a new bridge was built just above the village.

Devastating floods

The first known flood came to the village in 1839. At that time, the swollen Vlčí potok carried away, for example, a stable with a cow near building No. 13, in another part of the village the water demolished the wall of the barn and horses were swimming in the yard. the local shepherd's daughter also perished at that time, who climbed the gate of building No. 20 in front of the raging element. However, the water tore the gate down and she drowned.

The flood of 1889 can be considered the worst flood. Of all the villages affected by the floods in Přeštic, Jíno suffered the most. Almost the entire village was flooded by the flood in the evening. In the Chapel, the water reached up to the roof. The mill was blocked by debris. the flood then affected 23 villages and claimed more than 50 human lives.

Another flood came in 1890. Several days of rain flooded the tributaries of the Úhlava and all the crops around the watercourses were destroyed. In Jína, water once again flooded individual buildings. Internal equipment and grain fields were floating away from residents. Luckily, nobody died back then. Floods also hit the village when the Úhlava was flooded in July 1926 and in later years, the last one in 2002.

The regulation of the stream in Jín was carried out in the years 1907 - 1910. Many citizens earned extra money while regulating the stream by providing their carts to collect stones or performing various manual jobs. A day laborer was then paid 1 guilder a day. People from the surrounding villages - Kamýk, Švihov, Červené Poříčí, Vřeskovice, Borov and others - came to the village for extra income. The stone was mined near Kaliště. A memorial on the edge of the village reminds us of the extensive regulation of the stream.

Source: explanatory board in Jina