Hartmanice - Hořejší Těšov

The first written mention of Hořejší Těšov dates back to 1428. Its origin is associated with gold mining in the local mountains. Then the landscape slowly and surely began to change its face. The ridges and ravines previously covered with primeval forest are becoming more and more exposed, the mountain slopes are pierced by a number of tunnels, excavations and fluffed with many hundreds of piles of excavated soil. Large tunnels are created around Hamižná near Hartmanice on the ridge between Hořejší Těšov and Mochov. At that time, however, these villages apparently did not yet exist. After all, the first written mention of Hořejší and Dolejší Těšov dates back to the aforementioned year 1428.

However, the Hartmanick area undoubtedly flourished and developed, and certainly many people lived and worked there. Perhaps not even hundreds, but rather thousands of miners and their families flooded the area. The boom was stopped only by the Thirty Years' War, after which the area declined economically.

In the collection roll from 1654, two peasants and three gardeners, two barren plots of land, and a fallow roll (41 pages in total) are listed. A total of 84 pages of rolls and 19 cattle are listed here. The soil is sandy and lean (poor). In 1869 there were 380 inhabitants, and in 1930 there were already 306, and in 1991 only six permanent residents.

In front of Hořejší Těšov, a view of Kašperskohorska and Hartmanicko opens up, the Boubín forest can be seen on the distant horizon. During a tour of the village, visitors are attracted by the well-preserved objects of folk architecture.

One of the large snow pits is located above Hořejší Těšov, a remnant of medieval gold mining and modern quartz mining for glass factories.

Source: leaflet on the Farmer's Trail published by AgAkcent s.r.o. in 2002.