Hartmanice - Dolejší Těšov

Like the settlement of Hořejší Těšov, this village owes its origin to gold mining. In a later period, the village became the center of a large agricultural estate, which was located on the site of the local castle.

A characteristic feature of the settlement of Hartmanick was small noble residences, often one or two villages, with a small castle or fortress in the middle. In addition to Dolejší Těšov, there were also Palvínov, Kundratice, Hořejší Krušec, Loučová, Chlum and others. This made the development here quite different from the villages on "Královské". There lived the Kralovians with privileges that the local subjects could only envy.

Těšov rye, which was sought after for its quality not only as bread rye, but also as seed, brought fame to the village during the first republic. Rümker's winter rye was especially famous. From the mountain environment, it took away significant hardiness against weather influences, possible diseases and high yields. Another boast of the then Těšov landowner dr. Rudolf Ziegler and the Elleder family owned a herd of Simmental cattle, especially the cow "Prinz", which in 1928 achieved a national record milk yield of 11,738 kg and 407.78 kg of fat. The production of milk, butter, cheese and the breeding of slaughter animals characterized the advantages of local agriculture. At the end of the 18th century, Šumava and its foothills formed the largest area providing meat production in the republic.

On the estate in Dolejší Těšov, a variety of spring rye (Těšovské jarní žito) was bred, which was recognized as original in 1952.

The fate of the local minority school was also interesting. Until 1920, when one class of the Czech provincial national school was opened in Dolejší Těšov, most Czech children went to the local German general school. The village did not get a separate building of the state Czech minority school until 1923. It is worth noting that the Těšov school was the first Czech school built after the creation of independent Czechoslovakia on the territory of the Sudetenland. It was built according to a project that was recognized by the then Ministry of Public Works as a model for the construction of minority schools. The school was closed in September 1938 and reopened in the 1945/46 school year. However, the number of pupils in the Těšov school continued to decrease until it was abolished in 1978. In connection with this decision, the road and bridge were modified at considerable expense so that a bus could drive to Těšov for the pupils and take them to the school in Hartmanice. Currently, the school building is privately owned and functions as a boarding house.

Source: Information board in Dolejší Těšov