Předslav

The first written mention of the village is from 1352. The dominant feature of the village of Předslav is the church of St. James the Great founded around 1260 in the early Gothic style. Only the southern portal survived from the original building, as the church was rebuilt in the Baroque style in the 18th century. In 1827, František Palacký and Tereza Měchurová were married in this church. The church has also been declared a "Europeanly significant site" since 22 December 2004 due to the protection of the summer colony of the big bat. In Předslav there is a baroque storage room, an Empire farmhouse in No. 5, and in the old forge there is an exhibition of products and tools of black crafts and agricultural tool.



The tomb of the Měhur family is located in the local cemetery. The original tomb of the Měchura family was built in 1813 by a wealthy Prague lawyer, farmer and at the same time František Palacký's father-in-law, Jan Měchura. Because the family spoke only German, he is also known by the name Johann Miechura. Jan Měchura was married twice. Through his first marriage and his law practice, he acquired a large fortune, which he further expanded by buying real estate. In the Předslav Chronicle, it is written: "The combined estates of Předslav, Otín, Habartice, Chuchle were inherited in 1780 by the son of Jan Vincenc Janovský from Janovice, who sold the Chuchle estate in 1782. After his death, the other three estates were sold at a public auction due to large debts , which were tied to their estates. The estates were bought for 96,000 fl. by the free lord Ferdinand of Sternfeld. This owner began to build the Otín castle and the pre-Slavic belfry. As soon as the foundations were built, he died. He bequeathed the estates to his daughter Aloisia, married to Somsisch de Saaz, who on August 5, 1809, she sold it for 114,000 fl. to the regional attorney from Prague JUDr Jan Měchur, who completed the construction of the Otín castle in 1810." In addition to other properties, the Měchurs in Pošumaví also owned a chateau in Chocomyšl. The tomb itself was originally built and consecrated as the Chapel of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Probably at the beginning of the 20th century, the chapel was demolished and an underground tomb was established in the new Pre-Slav cemetery, the appearance of which has been preserved to this day. Coffins with the remains of the Měchur family were transferred to it from the original chapel.



On the site of the current falconry, there used to be a fortress, the seat of the lords of Předslav. When, after 1705, the fortress disappeared due to the merger of the Předslav and Otín manors, its buildings were initially left to their fate, and later they were converted into a manor brewery. It brewed very good beer and many local people found employment there. However, the brewery burned down in 1883. In 1891, although a project was drawn up for its restoration, new buildings were added, but beer was no longer brewed here and a family from a large estate moved into the spacious rooms. During the time of the owner of the large estate Zedwitz, the buildings were modified again, this time for a distillery, which disappeared when the Předslav - Otín estates were divided. The equipment of the distillery and the buildings were bought by Julius Vantoch from Nymburk, who on November 24, 1921 sold the buildings and the adjacent land to the Sokol gymnasium in Předslav for CZK 35,000. In 1922, the latter began the reconstruction of the purchased building into the current falconry, which was completed and handed over to its purpose at a ceremony on January 28, 1923. Only the polygonal tower, whose masonry now forms the western part of the falconry, partially survived in the current building of the falconry. .



Source: Měčín microregion history and monuments


Mapa