Předslav - Měchur's tomb

The original Měchur family tomb was built in 1813 by Jan Měchura, a wealthy Prague lawyer, farmer and father-in-law of František Palacký. Because the family spoke only German, he is also known by the name Johann Miechura. Jan Měchura was married twice. Through his first marriage and his law practice, he acquired a large fortune, which he further expanded by buying real estate. In the Předslav Chronicle, it is written: "The combined estates of Předslav, Otín, Habartice, Chuchle were inherited in 1780 by the son of Jan Vincenc Janovský from Janovice, who sold the Chuchle estate in 1782. After his death, the other three estates were sold at a public auction due to large debts , which were tied to their estates. The estates were bought for 96,000 fl. by the free lord Ferdinand of Sternfeld. This owner began to build the father's castle and the pre-Slavic belfry. As soon as the foundations were built, he died. He bequeathed the estates to his daughter Aloisia, married to Somsisch de Saaz, who on August 5, 1809, she sold it for 114,000 fl. to the regional attorney from Prague JUDr Jan Měchur, who completed the construction of the Otín castle in 1810." In addition to other properties, the Měchurs in Pošumaví also owned a chateau in Chocomyšl. The tomb itself was originally built and consecrated as the Chapel of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Probably at the beginning of the 20th century, the chapel was demolished and an underground tomb was established in the new Pre-Slav cemetery, the appearance of which has been preserved to this day. Coffins with the remains of the Měchur family were transferred to it from the original chapel.